Be kept up to date on all of the latest controversies, record-breaking plays, teams, athletes and the most common misconceptions.



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Are We Safe at Sporting Events?

After Thursday's season opener between the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Giants, a Giants fan was beaten in the parking lot of the Dodgers' stadium. Upon being taken to the hospital, the man was put into a medically induced coma. When something like this happens, we have to consider what can be done to prevent reactions like this at sporting events (being that this was not the first time that something like this happened)? Will this man ever be able to go to or enjoy a baseball game again? Should rivalries like this one have warning labels with them?

When addressing the first question, I just want to clarify that I don't think that fans should be told not to show their support at rivalry team's stadiums like some sports analysts are saying. When I go to another stadium to watch a Cubs game, I want to show my support even more than I do at home just because there are fewer Cubs fans in attendance. While I understand where the analysts are coming from, in a means of protection, I don't think warning fans not to wear their jerseys and caps to away games will fix this problem. Sports have always been a big part of peoples lives and when their team loses, they react irrationally. I am definitely not justifying what happened on Saturday but I am saying that it is a difficult thing to avoid, besides the addition of security.

If, and hopefully when, this man comes out of his coma, is he going to feel comfortable going to a baseball game again? If he does go to another game, he is going to be looking over his shoulder every second, thinking that someone is trying to approach him. If it had been me, I would have been sticking up for my team, thinking that I was among other sports fans and not among attackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment