Be kept up to date on all of the latest controversies, record-breaking plays, teams, athletes and the most common misconceptions.



Sunday, October 10, 2010

Alabama knocked from No. 1 to No. 8

After six games into the college football season, the Alabama Crimson Tide have lost their first game since the 2009 Sugar Bowl. That one loss caused them to go from the number one ranked team to the number eight ranked team. After a 19 game winning streak, Alabama was shut down Saturday by the South Carolina Gamecocks.

This major upset caused the Ohio State Buckeyes to move to number one, the Oregon Ducks to number two, the Boise State Broncos to number three, the TCU Horned Frogs to number four, and for the first time in many years, the Nebraska Cornhuskers stands a chance as the number five ranked team.

There are eight teams in the top ten who are undefeated so far and many expected Alabama to be classified as undefeated, as well. It was expected that Alabama would have another stellar season after last year's success. Going 14-0 last season, they were the BCS National Champions, AP National Champions, SEC Champions, and SEC Western Division Champions.

Before Saturday's game started, I was talking to my brother, and although I am an Iowa Hawkeyes fan, I told him I wanted Alabama to go undefeated again this season. Once the words came out of my mouth, jokingly, my next thought was that I had just jinxed it. And had I known that I had the power to jinx a college football team I would have kept my mouth shut! Alabama had all kinds of pressure to do well this season as a follow up to last season. However, in this situation I don't feel like that pressure was what caused Alabama to break. In my opinion, the Crimson Tide were having an off day while the Gamecocks happened to be having an on day.

Does this one loss mean that the season is over for Bama? No, not necessarily. If they let the fact that their winning streak was just ended get to their mind, then yes, they might be affected by the loss. But if they keep playing like they had before they lost then I think they will still be viewed highly and their talent will still be appreciated for the level that it is at.

No comments:

Post a Comment