Be kept up to date on all of the latest controversies, record-breaking plays, teams, athletes and the most common misconceptions.



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why We Choose The Teams We Do

Why do we choose to support the teams that we do? For some it's a regional thing or representing their hometown but for others it's completely random.
For me, there is a reason behind most of the teams I support.
            Chicago Cubs- They were the closest Major League Baseball team to where I grew up.
            Indianapolis Colts- I was born in Indiana.
            Duke Blue Devils Basketball- I would like to go to Duke.
            Iowa Hawkeyes Football- I live in Iowa.
            Boston Celtics- Theirs was the only National Basketball Association game I have been to.

My sister on the other hand, is a fan of the Atlanta Braves. Why? Good question. We have never lived in Atlanta, nor were they anywhere near where she has ever lived. In fact, she had never been to Atlanta until my mom took her to see a Braves game for her 21st birthday. But for her it was more of a matter of supporting David Justice, her childhood crush who happened to be playing for the Braves at the time.

A friend of mine has lived in Iowa his whole life, yet he (unfortunately) chooses to root for the Washington Redskins. When I asked him why he liked them he said “because no one else liked them. So I picked them when I was younger so I wouldn’t be a bandwagon-er.” This is just another example that there are some pretty crazy reasons out there yet we seem to stick with our decisions.

With 32 NFL teams, 30 NBA teams, 30 MLB teams, countless NCAA basketball and football teams who knows how we dwindle it down to supporting one of each. We are a society that is so engrossed in professional and collegiate athletics and because of that it is interesting to consider why and how we choose the teams that we do. Is there some kind of psychological aspect behind it or is it simply which team has the best stats or which teams we live by?

No comments:

Post a Comment